There’s a lot of talk these days about living longer and the benefits of “active living” in retirement. For those who have made regular exercise a part of their everyday lives, retirement gives them the opportunity to continue with their routines, try something new or spend more time outside. For others who have not had a consistent exercise routine, retirement opens the door wide to new fitness opportunities and the time and desire to commit yourself to a healthier lifestyle.
When you choose to retire to a city or state that is not your hometown, “destination retirement communities” are particularly tempting for active seniors because they offer new places, new people and new venues to discover, as well as a serious commitment to wellness. Thanks to the mild climate, accessible location and dynamic cultural landscape, retiring in Charlotte, N.C., offers plenty of ways to enhance your active lifestyle.
Exploring Charlotte’s Rich History
Charlotte was settled by Europeans in 1768 and has never slowed its steady pace of growth or its pursuit of prosperity. There’s a lot of interesting history in Charlotte, from its humble trading stop and gold mining beginnings before the American Revolution to its growth as a railroad junction and then as a major cotton distribution center.
Today, it is one of America’s largest banking centers and one of the nation’s top-ranked retirement destinations, according to Forbes magazine. There are many ways to explore Charlotte’s unique history — here are a few that will engage both your brain and body.
History Walks & Tours
Each of these unique tours showcases Charlotte’s charm in an intimate and friendly fashion. Comfortable and customer-focused, these tours offer a way to listen and learn, as well as walk and explore various points of interest. Just click on the links below to learn more!
There are plenty of fun things to do in Charlotte, especially if you want some fresh air and exercise while doing it! Whether you prefer to explore mountains, rivers and lakes or trek through nature-filled trails, Charlotte invites you to experience every kind of outdoor activity under the sun. Lace up your tennis shoes, slather on some sunscreen and get ready for adventure!
- Carolina Thread Trail: Thisan award-winning, truly one-of-a-kind regional network of connected greenways, trails and blueways reaches 15 counties, two states and 2.9 million people. There are over 300 miles of trails and 170 miles of blueways open to the public — linking people to places and communities to each other. The Carolina Thread Trail preserves natural areas and provides outdoor benefits for people of every age.
- Freedom Park: For a tranquil afternoon, walk along the fully paved trail around Freedom Park’s 7-acre lake. Ample green space makes the area a delightful choice for a picnic with plenty of favorites for takeout nearby. If you want to continue your outdoor adventure, this loop connects to Little Sugar Creek Greenway.
- James Boyce Park: Located near SouthPark, this 73-acre unspoiled park offers multipurpose trails and picnic shelters, as well as playgrounds for children.
- Ramsey Creek Park: Known for its beachy feel, this Lake Norman waterfront park stretches almost 44 acres. You’ll find a dog park, beach, fishing pier, loading docks and 1.5 miles of nature trails.
- US National White Water Center on the Catawba River: Includes action-packed activities like canoeing, stand-up paddleboarding, hiking, concerts, and dining.
Fitness Classes Catered to You
For more than 150 years, the YMCA has offered community-based fitness centers for people of all ages. Over the years, it has built an outstanding reputation for creating fitness programs for very targeted groups — particularly seniors. Whether you are a regular gym attendee or haven’t been to one since Jane Fonda wore leggings, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the cost, care, attention and variety the Y offers. From very low-intensity stretching classes to water aerobics and weight training, you will be sure to improve your fitness levels at the YMCA of Greater Charlotte.
With a particular emphasis on seniors who want to improve their health, ReBalance offers one-on-one trainers who are committed to learning about you to ensure a safe and customized plan for your lifestyle, time, body type, budget and personal goals. It creates affordable and realistic workouts to get results, and it works with you no matter what level of fitness you’re at today.
Get Fit at Your CCRC
With a lower-than-average cost of living and reasonable housing and real estate prices, Charlotte boasts six Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) — also called Life Plan Communities — in the metro area, including Generations at Shalom Park.
Today’s Life Plan Communities offer a well-rounded and highly personalized approach to helping you achieve your fitness goals. Whether they have on-site fitness facilities or offer unlimited access to a partnering fitness center, you can be assured you will find the guidance and support you want. At Generations at Shalom Park, residents enjoy access to personal trainers, wellness advisers, a 54-acre campus with walking trails and a partnership with the state of the art Levine Jewish Community Center.
To learn more about our unmatched offerings, visit us online or call 704-532-5400. Generations at Shalom Park has collaborated with Aldersgate Life Plan Services, a renowned senior living provider in the Charlotte region, on the construction of 125 new independent living residences set to open in 2024.